Monday, November 7, 2011

Good Times, Good Peoples at Lake Malawi: Salima Style

This past weekend was my third trip to Lake Malawi. Rather than heading south to Mangochi or Cape Maclear again, I and 13 of my friends traveled to Salima. Just an hour and a half away from Lilongwe, Salima is a beautiful, Michigan-esque lakeside town; there were so many trees and such beautiful vegetation that I envisioned the natural beauty of my home state, with a twist of course.

We stayed at a lodge called Safari Beach, which I settled on after contacting at least 15 different venues. The place was beautiful and quaint, as we stayed in two-story family-style bungalows, complete with two balconies overlooking the lake. The food was delicious (which, of course, was essential), and they even had a Saturday night lakeside barbecue with an awesome DJ, just what we needed for a late-night dance party.

What was my favorite part of the weekend? Well, besides the amazing company, the time at the beach, and a late night swimming fest, I really enjoyed the "safari" element of the lodge. There were colorful lizards, no-tailed squirrels, and these cute little rabbit-looking rodents, but the highlights of all the animals were the baboons. They hopped on our decks and thatched roofs, walked in the pathways, drank from the pools, and a big papa even tried to steal my french fries! (Definitely much cuter from a distance).

All-in-all, another fabulous weekend by the lake! I think for the next adventure I'll have to travel north...

Our cute bungalows

The view from my deck

Adorable...when they're little...and at a distance...

Breakfast time!

Lakeside; seems there's a fish market over there


Conference center at the lodge (the baboons loved jumping
on the roof)

The view!

Fun on the beach

Friends hanging out

Went kayaking (and didn't fall in!)





Beautiful landscaping at Safari Beach Lodge

Welcome back dinner (there was no power...)

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a wonderful time! Loved the pictures, very beautiful area!

    ReplyDelete