Sunday, October 30, 2011

My New Obsession

My ex-boyfriend gave me the nickname "foodie" almost exactly two years ago. While I initially hated it (I think I kept hearing "fatty," which no woman wants to hear), it's something I've come to fully embrace during my time here in Malawi. I've started to think more than I ever have before about what I put in my body. And not just calories (although what 20-something-year-old doesn't think about that occasionally) but a lot of things related to food: nutrition, and how to forge a nutritious diet when food isn't readily available; challenges of frequent power outages, and how we plan meals with that uncertainty; and most recently – with my bank account almost empty and payday too far away – the cost and availability of different types of food, and how that affects the decisions we make. 

Check out my next post for thoughts on systematic bias in access to nutritious foods in Malawi!


Watch out Martha Stewart..



My cooking partner-in-crime.

Stuffed peppers (with ground beef and brown rice),
fried plantain, and homemade garlic bread! 

Onion curry meatballs.


Dinner is served!

1 comment:

  1. Thats my girl! Bring on the food! Looks delicious!!! :) Can you send some to me?

    ReplyDelete