Monday, August 22, 2011

My Favorite Things About Malawi

From reading my blog thus far, you might get the impression that I'm having a terrible time here! "Luggage problems," "lanaguage barriers," "challenges in the field," and the list could go on. But truthfully, if I really reflect on my three weeks in this new environment, such an impression is only one-sided. There are so many things special to this place that little snags here and there sometimes prevent me from recalling and relating.

And so, in the spirit of sharing some of the positives, I've compiled my David Letterman-inspired "Top 10" list of favorite things about Malawi, so far:

10.    The Malawian-bottled beer is called "Kuche Kuche" (prounounced awfully similar to - yes, you guessed it - "coochie coochie")



9.      A really filling lunch of starch, meat, starch, more starch, and veggies costs less than US$2, which is a far cry from the $9 salads in Boston...



8.      I have a lot of time for reading, personal reflection, exploring new hobbies like yoga (I can almost touch my toes), getting creative in the kitchen, and keeping in touch with all my favorite people back home (which, for those of you who know me, is a HUGE accomplishment).

I have time to make this...

into this...


And then this!


 7.      My organization provides transportation for me to and from work everyday! No 7 am 15 passenger vans-turned-public transport for me!

6.       I am in the midst of a political change.  The July 20 protests revealed questionable government  tactics, and combined with food and fuel shortages, prompted the removal of the Hunger Project Award to Malawi's president and brought attention to the country. The civil society-initiated August 17 protests have been postponed for at least one month, but tensions are still high and politics are still on everyone's tongue. This may not be Egypt but it's exciting to see that Malawians may be finding their voice and that changes are being made.

5.       I have the opportunity to learn a new language: Chichewa. I can now say 6 things...

4.      Weight gain is considered "looking healthy," which is perfect considering all of the bread, fried food, and nsima I've been eating.

3.       My apartment is very comfortable! I have a big sitting room perfect for entertaining, two balconies, and for those of you who have also experienced the 4 person/1 bathroom housing debacle, I have my own bathroom!!


2.       I get free drinks at the bar, even when I'm clearly there with someone else.

Reunion with a former classmate and some other interns at my
favorite local spot.

  And my favorite thing about being in Malawi?! Drumroll please...

1.        I have the opportunity to meet amazing people - locals and expats alike - who are doing amazing things to improve their communities. From Peace Corps Volunteers and Staff who have warmly adopted me as their own....

New friends on my first night out in Malawi.

to other fellows who willingly listen to my endless chatter...

to co-workers who provide me with insight on their cultures...

to the women community health workers that teach me so much...


Community health works plus management team at the
monthly coordinator's meeting.


Malawi is not home yet but hopefully it will be soon.

1 comment:

  1. Loved your top 10! The best thing is to continue thinking positively! And I feel you already know that ;) Thinking of you! We will have to have a Skype date soon! :)

    ReplyDelete